Arpeggios give your tracks melody and speed. Discover how to create arpeggios quickly and easily in FL Studio.
Would you rather watch a video than read this article? Check it out here.
What is an arpeggio?
Before we start, let’s first explain what an arpeggio is.
An arpeggio is a broken chord, whose notes are played not at the same time, but one after the other. This gives a bouncy effect, and makes your track sound fast and melodic.
You probably know arpeggios from trance music. In the breakdown, you often hear bombastic strings and violins. Then a synth lead takes over the chord progression as an arpeggio, and the track builds up again.
In almost every trance track you hear an arpeggio. Here it starts at 1:55.
You can create arpeggios in FL Studio in a variety of ways
These are my favorite methods.
Method 1. Make arpeggios in FL Studio with the Arpeggiator Tool
You do this as follows.
1. Program a chord progression or play it in with a midi keyboard
Programming is easy with the Stamp tool.
- Select the Stamp tool.
- Choose a chord type, for example Minor
- Click in the Piano Roll.
You are now stamping with chords.
2. Are you satisfied with the chords? Then open the Arpeggiator Tool by pressing ALT + A.
3. Select an Arpeggio Preset.
4. Play with the Settings until you are satisfied and confirm with Accept.
Method 2. Make arpeggios with Midi Arpeggio VST
You can also make beautiful arpeggios with a Midi Arpeggio Plug-in. I myself use the VST Nora by Squareheads.
It works like this.
1. Open a copy of Nora Arpeggio VST Plug-in.
2. Drag a midi pattern into Nora’s Editor, or program one yourself.
3. Click on the plug-in’s Settings button, in FL Studio.
4. Under MIDI, specify a midi output channel. For example, 1.
5. Now open the VST synth that needs to play the arpeggio.
6. Click on Settings here as well.
Now enter the same MIDI channel as Input. In this example, channel 1. Nora sends out the MIDI on channel 1 and the VST receives MIDI 1. They work together.
7. Now play a chord on Nora’s Channel or program it
You can use your mouse or the Stamp Tool in the Piano Roll.
8. You will now hear the arpeggio
Nora Midi Arp Plug-in generates the arpeggio and it’s played by the VST synth.
9. Experiment with the presets in Nora or create your own patterns.
These were them, 2 ways I create arpeggios quickly and easily in FL Studio. Of course, there are other ways to do it. Share them in the comments!
More interesting articles about composing electronic music
Arpeggios give your tracks melody and speed. Discover how to create arpeggios quickly and easily in FL Studio. Would you rather watch a video than read this article? Check it out here. Table of Conten…
Arranging a trance track is often difficult and complex. Do you want to finish songs faster? Then quickly discover how to structure trance music.
Making tech house in FL Studio is easier than you think. With the right samples and smart programming you can create your own funky beats.
With the Fruity Keyboard Controller in FL Studio you can creatively automate VSTs. But how do you set up the plugin? Check this how to.
Sylenth1 is a great VST for programming arpeggios. Unfortunately you can’t export the patterns to midi. But there’s a workaround for Studio One users.